Donut worry moma, these donuts are a healthier version!
My friend’s niece came up with this healthier alternative to donut decorating and it was so yummy and fun that I had to share. The first time we did this we used the green Granny Smith apples. The tartness of this apple combined with the lemon and the sugar of the sprinkles was delicious! The second time I used Gala apples. This combination was an sweeter and smoother flavor overall. I liked the sweet & tangy taste of the Granny Smith apples better but the kids preferred the Gala apples.
This is a great activity to do at the pool because it can get kind of messy!
- Apples (Gala or Granny Smith)
- Vanilla Greek Yogurt with Honey (We used this Trader Joe’s Brand and also this Dannon Brand.)
- A variety of food coloring.
- 1 lemon
- Sprinkles in a variety of colors and shapes
- Sanding sugar in a variety of colors
1. Core apples and cut horizontally in about 1/4 inch slices. Squeeze half of a lemon over apples slices to prevent browning.
2. For ‘frosting’ use plain vanilla greek yogurt (with honey is yummy!) portioned out in clear plastic cups. Add food coloring to achieve desired hue. Mix well. Have the children use a spoon or plastic butter knife to ‘frost’ their ‘donut’.
3. Top with sanding sugar and sprinkles in a variety of colors and shapes.
I would love to use a food coloring alternative so if you momas have any suggestions please let me know!
I hope you’re enjoying these last few days of summer!